Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire is hiring!
Will you become our new Assistant Coordinator?
If you have any questions about the position that aren’t answered in the description down below,
feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire (RRFB) is a non-profit organization which mission is to protect and restore coral reefs in Bonaire by:
- developing new and innovative ways to restore reefs that are supported by research collaborations and shared worldwide
- training, engaging, and inspiring the community locally and internationally through volunteering, educational events, and outreach
- demonstrating that through community efforts there is still hope for coral reefs.
Through large-scale propagation, outplanting, and monitoring of genetically diverse corals, RRFB works to assist the reefs’ natural recovery
The successful model combines science, education, and ecotourism and engages local stakeholders and recreational divers in a community-wide effort to restore coral reefs
This position is based in Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean. Applicants work closely with the RRFB Coordinator and team to support the day to day activities, and in particular assist with:
- management of the coral nurseries, outplant sites, and monitoring effort
- the data organization, storage and analysis
- coordination and supervision of interns, volunteers and researchers
- coordination of RRFB’s Dive Operation Members, training and reporting
- logistic (truck, boat, warehouse, etc.)
Applicants coordinate and supervise field-based tasks, directing divers, communicating tasks, which mostly occur underwater. They are expected to perform 1 or 2 shallow water scuba dives a day for up to 5 consecutive days per week. This job includes an ability to successfully supervise groups of divers with various levels of dive skills and certifications. High level of situational awareness, for divers’ safety and work efficiency is therefore crucial.
They need to work with the team as well as independently, providing day to day task descriptions and report to the Coordinator via direct communication. Additionally, they may be asked to provide ad hoc reports and to contribute to preparing reporting documents. Communicate with internal and external contacts to seek and gather information and coordinate activities.
Applicants must have a positive attitude, being self-motivated and reliable. They participate in public speaking events and create presentation materials. Consistently demonstrate professional, positive, and approachable attitude. They train and share coral restoration knowledge with a variety of people including volunteers, researchers, students, tourists and local staff
Knowledge and skills base:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Biology, Ecology, Marine, or Environmental sciences
- Experience in coral reef conservation, restoration, monitoring and data analysis is preferred
- Scuba Dive Master or Dive Instructor certified from an internationally recognized training agency with a minimum of 100 dives
- Excellent communications in English, both orally and in writing. Preferred applicants fluent in multiple languages
- Proficient using MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
- Preference will be given to those applicants with boat handling experience
- Current driving license and ability to drive manual transmission cars
Team work, effective communication, and problem solving
Ability to work cooperatively with the RRFB team, interns, volunteers, and the public. Be an effective team member, setting a positive and professional example for the interns and volunteers, both on land and in the water. Be diplomatic, possess a culturally sensitive disposition and willing to work within the parameters of a small island.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Confident, articulate, and professional speaking abilities (and experience). Empathic listener and persuasive speaker.
Strong organizational, planning and problem solving skills are critical. Coordinate multiple tasks with many variables, strong situational awareness while working on the field.
APPLICATION MATERIALS & SUBMISSION
Short cover letter that shows your interest to be a part of the RRFB Team
Resume presenting related experience concisely and directly addressing items in this position description. All application materials should be submitted in one PDF document via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.