Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire (formerly Coral Restoration Foundation Bonaire) is a non-profit organization founded in 2012, when Ken Nedimyer of CRF was invited to visit the island to work with and assist Bonaire with their continued efforts to preserve Bonaire’s greatest assets, its coral reefs. Recognizing that the massive decline of coral reefs is not unique to the Florida Keys, Bonaire, or even the Caribbean, CRF created a mission centered on educating, inspiring, and empowering people around the world to be proactive and make a difference on their own coral reefs.
In February 2012, the Bonaire government together with the Bonaire National Marine Park, granted a permit to a local dive operator to start the CRF Bonaire Pilot Project. The project centered on the restoration of the shallow reefs by establishing Staghorn and Elkhorn coral nurseries and restoration sites and still does today. The project started with just a few corals in one nursery on Bonaire and has grown each year every since. Today, over 12,000 corals are grown in the RRFB nurseries and over 14,000 corals have been transplanted back to Bonaire’s reefs.
In 2015, RRFB joined forces with CRF to help establish the new CRF Curacao project. Once the initial set-up was completed, CRF Curacao had a new coral nursery filled with 10 different genotypes of both Staghorn and Elkhorn corals. RRFB has continued to help and collaborate with neighbors at CRF Curacao as both organizations grow.
Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire protects and restores coral reefs in Bonaire by:
- developing new and innovative ways to restore reefs that are supported by research collaborations and shared worldwide
- training, engaging, and inspiring the community locally and internationally through volunteering, educational events, and outreach
- demonstrating that through community efforts there is still hope for coral reefs
The vision of Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire is a world:
- Where knowledge and experience can be shared
- Where reefs are protected and restored
- Where reef degradation is halted
- Where ocean awareness is promoted
Our Core Values
- Be committed and determined
- Be accountable
- Be transparent
- Be positive and motivational
- Have integrity
- Pursue growth and learning
- Embrace and drive change